Here's the church where I ended up yesterday after a walk through a larger small town of 5600 people. I followed the churchbells and looked out over the water at autumn happening in every direction.
*
After the church with locked doors (I tried), I ended up at another church, The Church of Used Books. I lost track of time and entered that space where time moved without me. In an old book by Theodore Roethke, I found my favorite marginalia. Under the poem, "Weed-Puller," a stranger had written, "What is he digging at?"
*
A construction worker asked me if I wanted job. I said I'm happy enjoying the day.
*
Later I walked by a second bookstore who had a painted letters on their window that said, "Sherman Alexie Reading!" but someone had erased the R and it took me a moment to figure out what a "She man Alexie Reading" was.
*
I was out in my poetry shed when a thunder and lightning storm passed above. I survived.
*
The Details: Poetry and Life in a Small Town-- Thoughts Before Revision
