Friday, February 09, 2007

Not All Is Lost in Translation

I found my poem "Of a Forgetful Sea" from Poets Against the War on a Chinese website.

It had news about American poets who were against the war. It was pretty incredible (and interesting) when I went to the site through the "TRANSLATE" link. I'm always intrigued at "direct translations" like what Babelfish translator does. (I love "China Mobile" for "grain").

I'll post my original poem first and then the translated version. I think the ending from the version in Chinese is pretty fantastic though and definitely cuts through things.

ORIGINAL POEM:

Of a Forgetful Sea


Sometimes, I forget the sun
sinking into ocean.

Desert is only a handful of sand
held by my daughter.

In her palm,
she holds small creatures,
tracks an ant, a flea
moving over each grain.

She brings them to places
she thinks are safe:

an island of driftwood,
the knot of a blackberry bush,
a continent of grass.

Fire ants carried on sticks,
potato bugs scooped
into the crease of a newspaper.

She tries to help them
before the patterns of tides
reach their lives.

She knows about families
who fold together like hands,
a horizon of tanks moving forward.

Here war is only newsprint.

How easy it is not to think about it
as we sleep beneath our quiet sky,
slip ourselves into foam, neglectful
waves appearing endless.


Kelli Russell Agodon



《忘却的海》"Unforgettable Sea"



有时,我忘了太阳Sometimes, I forget the sun

已沉进大海。Shen has advanced sea.



沙漠只是一小把沙子Just put a small desert sand

握在我女儿手中。My daughter shook hands.



在她手掌心,In her CFS.

她捧着小小的动物,She holds tiny animals

看着一只蚂蚁、一只跳蚤Watching an ant, a flea

在沙粒中移动。China Mobile in the sand.



她把它们带到She brought them

她认为是安全的地方:She believes it is a safe place :



一块浮木支起的小岛,A piece of the story set up on the island

一丛黑草莓灌木搭起的桩子,Cong pickets erected a black strawberry shrub,

一片青草铺成的陆地。Paved piece of grass land.



火蚁搬动着小树枝,Fire ants moving a small branch

土豆虫挖着洞穴Potato dug a cave insects

爬进报纸的摺缝中。Newspapers back in the pack grove.



她尽力帮助它们Her best to help them

在图案潮水In tidal patterns

掠走它们的生命之前。Ruined their lives before.



她知道那些家庭She knew those families

像手一样连在一起,Like hands together.

坦克的地平线向前挪动。Tanks moved forward on the horizon.



在这里,战争只是新闻印刷品。Here, war is news publications.



当我们睡在安静的天空下When we sleep in a quiet sky

不去想这些是多么容易,Lin does not think this would be easy.

滑进泡沫里,疏忽的Dead bubble, negligence

浪花无尽地闪现。Endless spray to win.