Friday, November 24, 2006

A Day of Turkey Sandwiches or Meateaters or Don't Read This Post If You're Having Lunch

Until about 4 years ago, I was a strict vegetarian. I had been one for about 11 years when one Mardi Gras I started to crave protein. What started with shrimp cocktail turned into plate of bbq pork and led me back into the world of meat. People used to ask me what I didn't eat and I'd say, "Anything with a face." When I was a vegetarian, I didn't want me, didn't crave it, didn't care. The other night I devoured a baked chicken. This is not my bean and rice ways in my old tofu life.

I have tried to figure out if I've changed because I have become physically stronger since than the weakling I was in my 20's, or if I'm just busier now and don't have time or care to eat such a well-balanced, higher protein veggie diet as I did in my earlier life. Now, I have a chicken panini and don't worry if I'm getting enough protein.

I think the lack of meat products for 11 years was beneficial just in that for 11 years I didn't have stray bovine hormones running through my system, something I think about if we have sloppy joe's or Joe's Special(basically, the only meals with hamburger in them that I like) as recently I just read an article that women who consume more than 2 servings a day of red meat have a higher incident of breast cancer.

I think if I saw what I did to the inside of my body with some of the things I eat that probably aren't so great for me-- thick slices of cheese, diet coke, sugar, sugar, sugar--I might eat better. I've always thought this was true with smoking. Imagine if instead of the tar sticking to your lungs, it oozed out your skin. I bet less people would smoke.

Anyway, this is turning into a gruesome post when what I wanted to say was I'm glad to have a refrigerator of leftovers. I'm glad there were mashed potatoes for me to take home and eat today. I'm thankful for the white meat, the peas, and the stuffing.