Listening to" Keane "Everybody's Changing."
Weather: Rain with wind, not too cold though
Mood: Considerate
Intuition at Work--
I'm finishing up my book on intuition and trying to be more aware of the thoughts that just "pop" into my mind. This morning in the middle of get-ready-routine, in that sort of meditative wash-your-face, brush-your-teeth world I thought of someone I hadn't seen in awhile. So, I guess if my intuition is becoming stronger, I shouldn't be surprised to run into this person a half hour later at the gym.
I'm trying to note these little "successes" and also trying not to look at intuition as a competitive sport. I really just think intuition is partially following your bliss and partially just trusting that things will work out. If you find yourself fighting the world around you, I think there needs to be change.
This is how I ended up in a small town. I kept feeling inside of me that I needed to escape the corporate world, but that big check kept arriving every other Friday and those dollar signs were like little chains around my ankles. There is a point that no amount of money can stop you from staying. It's about that point where I realized my life was almost the exact opposite of what I wanted. I wanted to work in the arts, I was writing copy for coupons. I wanted to be in the country, I spent an hour in traffic every day. I wanted to be writing, I spent evenings going over budget reports. I wanted to get out of there, I was afraid to leave hell.
There are times when you wil jump even when there is no net. I think this time was my greatest use of intuition. I knew there would be something more for me if I just packed up and moved away. I read this sentence this morning in the Yoga Journal : "You are always simultaneously at tea beginning, the middle , and the end of many sequences; while you are at this moment experiencing the karmic results of choices made in the past, you are also making karmic choices that will help create moments in the future." Like the Talking Heads song, "you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile and you may ask yourself 'Well, how did I get here?'"
Last Night, I Dreamed My Whole House was Clean--
In my reading for my critical paper, I came across this interesting paragraph from Never Done: A History of American Housework and A Very Serious Thing: Women's Humor and the American Culture-- "...one of the ironies of the women's movement of the 1970's, coinciding as is did with an economy that almost mandated the two-paycheck family, was that women's work simply increased. "
Now, I can't complain too much about the chores of the domestic goddess as I do about 5% of the cooking in the household and I actually enjoy cleaning, but I thought that was interesting as I had never considered it that way. I do know that if someone comes into my house and it's messy, they don't think, "Man, K's husband should clean up around here." No, that falls onto my shoulders. We still equate the clean home to the wife.
Everyone's quite aware that I can't cook and don't like too. I'm happy with a bowl of cereal or French toast for dinner. Give me a bowl of Muesli and some raspberry yogurt and I'm content, though I couldn't serve that at a dinner party unless we were camping on Vancouver Island and watching orcas from the cove where we set up our tents. Then we'd be okay.