VOTE--
I'm mailing in my ballot today. It amazes me that people don't vote. My feeling is truly, if you don't vote, you can't complain about taxes, what America's doing in Iraq, healthcare, you name it. You have opted out and if you opt out of the conversation, don't try to start one with me. It's one of the things I have little patience for. I don't want to hear that you couldn't find the polls, didn't know the issues, had a sick dog, were really tired, were late for work, or just forgot. If you care (even just a little bit), you vote. If you don't care, that's fine...just don't complain about the state of our country or your life to me; I'm not listening.
But for those of you who did vote or who are going to--
Congratulations on trying to make things better. Feel feel to leave any complaints about the government here. I feel your pain.
Sunday--
Yesterday I went to a holiday arts fair and though it was too early for me to see Santa and white light snowmen, I did buy my first Christmas present of the year. Still, I'm enjoying the golden leaves of November--which we lost a lot of last night in the storm--but there are still many holding on, holding on, holding on. Don't let that holiday season in too early!
HS--
The festival was at our local high school, which looked like it could use a BIG remodel. Yikes. But it had the classic high school features--mascot painted on the wall, trophies in the trophy case, strange signs made by students. It made me remember that for homecoming the different grades in our high school (freshmen, sophomores, etc.) would compete for the "Spirit Keg." Which was basically an empty keg painted blue and gold and filled with "spirit." This was in the 80's and given all the emphasis NOT to promote teenage drinking now, I don't think the spirit keg would be celebrated in 2006.
Poetry--
I haven't been writing many poems lately, I think because my head has been clouded with my critical paper. Also, I think there are times when we just need to refuel as poets. The weather for writing is perfect. It is so wet and windy that even my golden retriever doesn't want to be outside. He seems to have issues with the wet leaves touching his paws and has created this sort of balancing act around the garden, stepping on border stones so not to let his delicate paws touch the dirty wet leaves.