Friday, December 29, 2006

My Process--

The other day I wrote out my process of writing a poem and while talking to a friend today (hi A), we thought it might be helpful for others as well.


My process for writing poems--

When I sit down to write at my computer sometimes I just start writing about what's on my mind. It doesn't need to be important or world changing, just what I'm thinking about it. I write with line breaks not in a free write.

If I'm having trouble beginning sometimes I look at poetry books by my favorite writers. These change daily. On my desk now is Robert Hass, I've had many other poets here as well. Sometimes I turn on music to inspire. Currently, it's "How to Save a Life" by the Fray. Other times it's been Los Lonely Boys or Jack Johnson.

Then I just write. I don't think about what I'm writing or if it's making sense. I just write whatever comes to mind. If I get stuck, I grab a book and open to a word or I write ________ in my poem. I just keep trying to move forward. Once I feel I'm at a stopping point, I save the poem either by a title or the first line into my "In Process" file. This is purgatory for poems. It could sit there a day or a month, or a year. The poem may never get looked at again. Or it may get attention in the evening. It's in limbo. It may become a *real* poem or it may live its life as a fragment, a thought, some interesting words on paper.

Later when it's my writing time again, I open my In Process file and randomly choose 5-9 poem titles or first lines that look interesting to me. Sometimes I seek out a certain poem I'm ready to work on. I open them all and begin reading through the poems until I find one that looks interesting to begin revising. I do this process again and again. I keep opening and revising poems. Again, this can go on for a day, week, or years with the same or different poems.

At some point, one of the poems will give me this feeling of satisfaction, of completeness. I will know there is no more I can do and there is no more that I want to do to this poem. At this point, I will either print out the poem to share with my writing group or I will move it to my file called "Completed Poems."

If I bring it to my writing group, it will stay in In Process until I make further revisions. If it moves to Completed Poems, it then becomes a poem I may submit to a literary journal.

For every one poem I complete, there are probably about twenty poems that are not completed. You will never see the majority of the poems. I may never finish the majority of my poems.

Sometimes I move a poem to Completed Poems too quickly and later return it to In Process because it's just not strong enough. Sometimes, I forget about a poem in In Process and then find it and feel it's complete. Mostly, many of my first poems never become poems. But I feel I need to write those poems to get to the next poems.

I think about Elizabeth Bishop here and how Alice Quinn published Edgar Allen Poem and the Jukebox. I don't think she wanted the world to see those poems, just as I don't want anyone to see my In Process poems until they are complete. By knowing that no one will ever see them, I am free to experiment, write about anything, and write freely.

When I write, I do not think of the reader, but of the poem and what's best for it. I do not think, "What will people think of this poem?" or "What will people think of me?" I just write. The world, the reader is so far away when I write those first words, I can't imagine at that point that anyone will read it. In fact, mostly likely, you won't. Most likely, my poem will life a life "In Process," in the file with no backdoor to escape from, the file that makes the poem stay in there until it's earned its way out.