
Right now, I should be wrapping, I should be cleaning the house. There are Graham Cracker Snowflakes in the oven(renamed from Outrageous Cookie Bars or Seven Layers). But I am taking a break from my domestic Christmas goddessness and reflecting for a moment on the season.
Some highlights and moments of the holiday season--
Magic--
Yesterday at the grocery store, Santa was there. Not the fake mall Santa with his sweaty hands and pull-away beard, but the real guy whose beard is homegrown, who comes with his own elf (named Brandon). There was no charge to see Santa, to one to pay for photos, just Santa and a bag of gifts he graciously gave away. I don't know who, or why, or what made Santa come to our our small town, but there he was, a little bit of magic in the hustle of the world.
Do you see what I see?
In the season of holly daze, I am thankful that my vision has returned and I am healing. I am thankful for my good health.
Eliot the Naughty Kitty--
After wrapping and hiding everyone's gifts, I was surprised to see Eliot in the family room with a red little mouse toy since that is what I bought him for Christmas. It seems that after my late-night wrapping, Eliot chose to find and open his gift early. Buddy Holly (our golden retriever) ripped the ears off, but the toy (which is now making its way through my office) seems to be loved by all.
Christmas by the Sea--
Yesterday, two bald eagles flew by my home while we were outside. Then on the way to the market we passed a kingfisher on a telephone wire and a heron in the mud flats. Out on the dock, someone decorated a Christmas tree. At night, it becomes its own Christmas card.
What I Am Thankful for This Christmas--
Friends and Family
Being alive and well
The Christians and the Pagans
Music
All the good people in the world
Christmas cards arriving in my mailbox
Secret Santas
Surprise Blessings
Christmas cookies with green sugar frosting in the shape of reindeer
The neighbor who put the word "PEACE" up in his yard in blue and white lights
___________
I hope you each find something magical in your day and evening. May everything you ever want not be under your Christmas tree, but next you, always.
Merry Christmas, baby.