
This post has nothing to do with poetry, so if you're looking for poetry here, return.
I'm just back from an ornament party. Before I went I found a note that my husband had left me that read: Have fun at the ornament party. I love you. P.S. It's not a competition.
Here's the thing about me, probably my biggest character flaw. I'm competitive. Not in poetry (submissions, contests, etc.-- if you know me you'll know I'm the first to share information, to help with a grant or book submission) nor am I competitive with friends (I don't try to the biggest or best of anything, I don't want to show anyone up), but when it comes to certain games, I am. I'm terribly competitive. I'm especially competitive if I'm playing a) tennis or b) chess against my husband.
But here's the deal, tonight at this "ornament party," we all were to bring an ornament wrapped up then we each roll dice until we get doubles. The first person to get doubles gets the first choice and so on. (The interesting thing here is you don't know what you're getting so sometimes the one that's wrapped the prettiest, is not the nicest ornament). Once all the ornaments are unwrapped, the hostess sets the timer for 10-15 minutes (though she doesn't tell us) and a box with dice is passed around the group. If you roll doubles, you can "steal" someone's ornament (basically, you trade your ornament for theirs).
When I opened my ornament it was this cool pink flamingo in a santa hat that came in a retro felt bag. Now, it's much cuter than what's in the photo I thought this story needed a visual. There is a whole series of events I will not bore you with including me rolling doubles and not trading, flamingo stolen from me by drunk woman, winning it back twice only to have it stolen one last time by another woman and the buzzer goes off.
What was interesting was when I showed this ornament around, no one wanted it, but when other people saw the interest in the ornament, it became the catch of the day. I want to say I was kind, but wasn't. I coughed "Karma" when the drunk woman stole my ornament. I rushed an old lady to roll the dice so I could get my turn. I want to say I was the sweet poet of my daily life, but I was not, and the karma gods got me back and I didn't leave with a flamingo, but a bell with a snowman painted on it...and it's dented.
What's funny is I know the shop where I can purchase this flamingo, it's not even expensive. But you know how sometimes you find yourself in the thrill of something and lose sight of everything else. . .I think it's why people get hooked on eBay, it's the thrill of winning not of having. My friend asked me if I was going to buy the flamingo ornament since I lost it and I said, "No...well, unless it's the last on the shelf and someone's reaching for it." It was a good reminder to me that I still have so much to work on in this lifetime, my path to enlightenment is decorated with pink flamingos and they are all wearing santa hats.