As autumn continues and the holiday season begins to make itself known in the stores, I'm reminded how important it is to support each other as artists.
In our community we have Arts in the Wood, an event where you follow a map around the area and arrive at the studios of artists (some at their home, some in the town). This year for the holidays, I am planning of purchasing 85% of my gifts for people from working artists and writers. Instead of someone getting a vase from Pier 1, expect a beautiful handmade vase from the potter who lives down the street from me. Instead of a bestseller, expect a book of poems. Instead of a name-brand bracelet from Macy’s, expect a handblown glass beaded bracelet from the woman who creates art in her garage.
I am finding myself not wanting to give my money to large businesses or to people who already have it. I want to support the working artists of the world, the people who sell their art at the Farmer’s Markets or in the local galleries.
Recently, as a gift to myself, I purchased a painting I have been wanting for the last 8 years. It’s not something I’ve thought about on a daily basis, but I have thought about it over years after attended a poetry reading and gallery opening for the paintings 8 years ago. I had wanted to buy one then, but didn’t. About 3 weeks ago, I thought about the artist who painted the series and found her on the internet. And on whim, I sent her an email asking about her work and if she happened to have any of the paintings left from the Midsummer’s Night series. She did. All the others had been sold, but she had one left. And as serendipity would have it, it was the painting I wanted back then, but didn’t buy. And now, eight years later it hangs in my living room.
I think about these connections we make with others as writers either at poetry readings, on the internet, or at a writer’s conference. We don’t know what connections are being made at the time and if we’re having any impact at all, but yet, down the road, maybe 8 years from now, we may receive an email from someone. We may receive a compliment. Our lives are spreading out in front of us like tributaries in a river, or the opposite, one path opening into many and we don’t know what is ahead of us, we just move forward and trust.