Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Top Cat




Some new things we've recently brought into our home--a tadpole, and a Venus flytrap plant. The Venus Flytraps remind me so much of the 70's, I keep thinking we'll have some magic Mexican jumping beans on the table soon. The tadpole's name is "Pumpkin" as I'm sure in the wild, mommy frogs name their baby frogs as well.

I received the new Poets and Writers and the cover reminds me of that line from Seinfeld where the art collector says: He is a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away. I don't think it's meant to be and maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but it is one of the strangest covers I've seen from them. It reminds me of the hitchhiking ghost from the Haunted Mansion.

I sometimes get that nervous feeling when I see poets in fancy hats. It's that strange laughter that happens when I look in the mirror and see I've spent all day with a dollop of chocolate on my nose. And no one told me how silly I looked and yet, there I was. How does the rest of the world "see" poets? Are we the oddballs bathing our cats and dressing them up in bonnets or more the fellow wandering the cemetery with a butterfly net?

I'm still trying to find my fancy hat in life. I should be thankful that some poets already know where their hat is and aren't afraid to wear it.