Thursday, April 10, 2008

NaPoWriMo #10

Assignment:
Write a poem (or sonnet) for someone who is alive.


This one is a little on the sentimental side, but a poem for the day and a poem for my mum (who will think it's perfect).



Poem for My Mother Before She Dies





You ask me to write you a poem now and

not wait until you die and all day I’ve

tried to put you in a poem, sonnet

to sestina, find motherhood in strict

language, but what is motherhood except

the broken bricks a daughter walks across,

not words, but a stitch sewn into the chest.

How can I give thanks immense enough?

You’re the beaded purse holding everything

I need, the neighborhood I never left.

So here’s a poem to living, to Sunnyside,

to this afternoon you visited, said

Please don’t wait until I die. I waved

as you drove away, watchful as a child.