Wednesday, April 23, 2008

NaPoWriMo #22

Ooops, got a day behind, but a good reason-- I saw Mary Oliver yesterday. More on that soon.

I've been wanting to do a gratitude list since I haven't done one lately, so here's one in the shape of a poem (wonder twin powers activate!)


Gratitude


Because I can
open my mouth and speak,
complain about the tag
on the back of my shirt,
I say thanks, thanks
for the shirt and the body
that breathes beneath it,
the stitches coming undone
in edge of its hem, thanks
for the string, for the vision
to notice how poorly made
my t-shirts are, leaving the wash
two sizes too small, how easy
it is to find the dot of cloud
on a blue sky, find the restaurants
that were closed instead of
the neighbors who said,
Come on in! Because I can
smell the eggs and ham
on the Viking Croissant sandwich,
and taste the chocolate from
the éclair left on the back
of my hand, I give thanks
to the itchy, the too small,
the cheaply made items, thanks
to a working brain cranky
enough to notice, and for
the heartbeats that keep coming
and allow me to step out
and enjoy the rain.