Tuesday, April 08, 2008

NaPoWriMo Number 9, Number 9, Number 9

Writing Assignment: - Choose one word and learn everything you can about it (song/movie/book references, its history, its origin, etc), then write a poem about it.


Some Better Place



When I say crazy is a bird spinning over my head,

you tell me it’s just peri-menopause, the war,

it’s living in a small town with so many trampolines.



I find crazy in the dictionary—

the act of obsession, brainsick, unsound,

bizarre or fantastic, extremely impractical.



You say there are better places to look for crazy.

You say: high school, post office, mirror.



I remind you, unbelievable things happen

because of crazy, like the man who followed me

through a downtown street saying he wanted to kill me

with kindness, handed me a fifty, and disappeared.



You call strangers with cash a miracle, but I believe

all humans are gods with different wallet sizes, gods who live

for funerals, for fury, for free meals at Sizzler.



When I say crazy is doing the same thing over and over

again and expecting a different outcome, you say, Repeat that.



Yes, I say, I’m going, I’m almost, destined for crazy.

You say, Would you like me to seduce you?

Is that what you’re trying to tell me?



We break bread with no crust, clink glasses of plastic.

I tell if you if I could choose my own last name it would be

Robinson or Springsteen. You say you’d just go by Seal.



We listen to Patsy Cline and I admit I’m the crazy bird

spinning in my own head and you say you’re thankful

for my breakdowns, it gives you some time to rest.









Note: Title from Shakespeare’s Henry VI, “…some better place, Fitter for sickness and for crazy age…”